Monday, April 13, 2009

Binding the body...


Another form of decoration, binding. Strips of timber lacing the edges of the body as well as a second layer of a different bind being applied to the top plate.
Channels first had to be routed, two for the top plate and one for the back. This was fairly simple.
Bending irons then had to be switched on and much like the sides of the guitar, precision followed. The bending was very time consuming as (like a fool) I did the 3 binds separately. This meant I had to wait for the face binding on the top plate to glue to the surface before I could apply the next one.
The binding was held down with masking tape but there were some spots which rose up from the body which I filled with a paste of wood filler and glue. Job done.
Now for the cleaning up of the body.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.